Safety Tips from Partners Against Crime
By Mimi Kessler
Here are some tried-and-true tips for deterring theft and break-ins. These are frequently emphasized at the monthly meetings of PAC2 – Partners Against Crime District 2:
- Install and use locks on all doors and windows
- Install video: doorbell, motion-activated; it’s easier than you would think
- Get a monitored alarm system and put signs and stickers on doors and windows
- Lock your car
- Don’t leave valuables or your gun in the car
- Get a dog
- Be a nosy neighbor and ask others to do the same
Partners Against Crime is a community-based volunteer organization that works at the neighborhood level on crime prevention strategies and quality of life issues. Each of Durham’s five police Districts has a corresponding PAC organization that meets monthly. Trinity Park is in District 2, so I attend PAC2 meetings, which are held on the 2nd Monday of each month, 6-8 pm at the Edison Johnson Aquatic Center at 500 W. Murray Ave. Attendees discuss concerns and improvement strategies with our police liaison, as well as City/County officials and other guests.
If you’d like to know more about PAC2 or Partners Against Crime, contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.